Beaconsfield Historical Society
(No. 3 on Old Town map)
This building, the Church House or Parish Hall, lies north of the Old Rectory and was erected for £40 at the bequest of the rector, Richard Capel, who died in 1500.
It is the only Wealden hall house still surviving in Beaconsfield, although there are many similar houses in other market towns in Buckinghamshire, and is tucked down alongside the church. Originally, there would have been one large full height central hall with private or ‘solar’ rooms at either end at the first floor level. The house was originally intended as a public meeting place and is now split into two homes called Old Timbers and Capel House respectively. It has, in the past, had a variety of uses including being used as stables to Hall Place which was the Rectory from 1869-1975.