The town has had many cottage industries mainly artistically inclined. In 1922 a film school came to Beaconsfield It closed as the Beaconsfield Film Studio in 1967. Concern grew as to the lack of study areas for film and it was bought in 1969-1970. In 1971 it became the National Film School. Early on silent ...
Article including pictures details the motorway opening, continuing amount of cars going through the Old Town but also the development of the New Town for shopping which has benefitted the Old Town. Windsor End is also much quieter, no longer going to Slough. Details of various buildings in the Old Town are mentioned
Details of the cherry industry around Beaconsfield. Types called ‘caroons’. Made lovely cherry pies.Mid June to erly August cherry pickers worked from dawn to dusk to collect cherries. In 1906 Seeleys farm employed up to 60 pickers. Cherries were loaded into carts to the new station Ladders used were wider at the bottom and narrowed ...
Article about the Inns of Beaconsfield. Fast coaches known as flyers were pulled by 4 horses and took 4 hours between London and Beaconsfield and about 2 hours on to Oxford. Detail is about the Inns including The Saracens and the story of Richard the Lionheart who got so drunk he smashed up the pub ...
Account of Mr Lea travelling through Beaconsfield Old Town at various times of the century. Before the motorway and after it. Various changes are noted.
Article with photographs of the church, Saracens Head and Georgian buildings in London Road
The Earl of Beaconsfield is demolished for a Waitrose store. The Earl originally The Railway Hotel was built in 1910. It changed its name due to new owners Ind Coope Benkins. Changes in the New Town are listed. Land opposite between Barings Road and Reynolds Road is cleared and business buildings were built. Grove House ...
The Old Church School built in 1872 fell into disrepair after 100 years as a school. The buildings were rescued in 1976 by Patrick Reyntiens an internationally renowned stained glass expert. The glass expert wanted a large studio to set up classes and a school. Repair was needed to the roof and the building needed ...
The market charter was granted by King Richard 111 ‘s brother in 1255. These markets were held in churchyards until this was banned in 1285 as the ground was consecrated. Market rules were strict. Many vendors walked or pack animals bought them. Town sergeants checked the rules. The market continued until 100 years ago when ...
Details are given of the points of interest in the New Town. Parades of shops on either side of the railway bridge. Bekonscot. The Catholic Church built in 1914. The Earl of Beaconsfield pub with the catholic church as an annex. Both Church and pub well known to G K Chesterton. Pictures of WH Smith ...
Article about Bekonscot, Its start by Roland Callingham opening in 1929 (completed in 1934)- 1979 Golden Jubilee. Proceeds go to charity £300,000 raised by 1979. More popular than Waddesdon Manor the most visited National Trust property in Bucks. Visited by the 8year old Queen Elizabeth with her mother in April 1934. Close association with the ...
Differences noted between the Old and New Town. With photographs by Raymond Lea. The Old Town has a mix of Georgian and Victorian buildings. A small stuck insert details the Boundary Stone article.