Note in an article on Angela Thirkell a well known authoress detailing English country life. She visited before the 2nd world war and moved here when war broke out. Known as the grande dame sans merci of the London literary world according to Margot Strickland who wrote her biography. She was Rudyard Kiplings and Stanley ...
Poem by Kathleen Day about the closure of Hedgerley Lane due to the M40 motorway
Stone cross noted in St Mary and All Saints Beaconsfield. A memorial was created in 1925 in memory of all those buried in mass graves due to mass epidemics. A link was found between cholera and overcrowding. So churchyards were closed, beaconsfield in 1899.
A picture of the disused school at Beaconsfield to be occupied by Patrick Reyntiens as a stained glass school
Picture and short notes on The Yew Tree Pub on the Beaconsfield Road just north of Farnham Royal
Finding Out about Beaconsfield The name of a new booklet by Beaconsfield Historical Society. Written by Tim McKay and pen and ink by John Broadbent. A walk around the town piinting out places of interest.
The Fowlers of Beaconsfield. The Fowlers some buried in St Marys Church. Note is mentioned of the writers grandfather Joseph Ford Fowler a master watch maker who owned a jewellers shop in Beaconsfield. He was the only man who Disraeli would let touch his clocks.
Beaconsfield’s unique memorial. In the churchyard behind the Waller tomb is a large stone cross to commemorate all those buried in the churchyard but at unknown graves.
Farmers triumphal stone at Beaconsfield. Boundary stone set up by John Rolfe in 1827 in celebration of his victory over the Church rector, John Gould, and payment of tithes. Stone was lost but now is in Holtspur on the A40 near the Kings Head.
Disused Schools. Small article about the disused school soon to be occupied by a stained glass artist Patrick Reyntiens. He worked with John Piper on the windows for the new cathedrals at Liverpool and Coventry. The aim is to start an internationally renowned School of Glass art.
Boundary Stone celebrating payment of tithes and quantities of corn required ‘ tenth cock and eleventh shock’
Pages 82 -83 of The History of Beaconsfield book with corrections. Article detailing education in Beaconsfield. Including the Manse School, Cheriton House, Beaconstone, the Church School opened in 1873 including mention of the Children’s Pence, Forsters Education Act stipulating compulsory education in 1870, the Act of 1880 made it compulsory for 5-8 year olds initially ...